We customize solutions that solve financial challenges and manage the risk associated with them.
CDL has the professional expertise, accessibility, and commitment to respond immediately to our clients’ requests, from the most routine questions to the immediate crisis. Our skill in gathering, analyzing, and interpreting financial data provides counsel, arbitrators, management, and others with the intelligence necessary to make informed decisions. Our goal is to provide an independent, objective analysis and opinions that can be relied on by the parties involved. The services we provide are tailored to the unique needs of each client and engagement in an effort to achieve the best possible results.
Closely held businesses, personal and family ownership interests, and professional practices may require valuations for many different reasons. CDL provides clear, concise, independent, and objective business valuations to assist with mergers and acquisitions, tax planning, and estate and gift tax planning and compliance. We also assist in dispute resolution settings such as divorce, commercial damages, or civil litigation.
Our professionals include individuals who have earned the designations ABV (Accredited in Business Valuation), CFF (Certified in Financial Forensics), and CPA (Certified Public Accountant) from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Whether you are thinking of valuing your business for sale, a pre-nuptial agreement, reorganization, financing, or a distribution of estate and trust assets, our professionals utilize their expertise and understanding of complex situations to provide you with creative solutions. Don’t think of valuation as something you will be concerned about some time in the future when we can help you determine the best course of action today.
Litigation Supports Services for Economic Damages & Lost Profits
The calculation of economic damages and lost profits is an important area of litigation support. Qualified professionals with a solid understanding of these services are an essential part of any litigation team.
At CDL, our industry experience and technical expertise enable us to assist attorneys in these matters.
We provide objective, independent services including:
- Income Analyses
- Analyses of Necessitated Medical Costs
- Determination of Past and Future Losses
- Adjustments for Personal Consumption
- Adjustments for Income and Payroll Taxes
- Adjustments for the Value of Lost Household Services
- Assistance with Attorney Preparations for Deposition and Trial
Economic damage may occur in relation to a number of events, including:
- Business Interruption
- Breach of Contract
- Commercial Litigation
- Wrongful Death and Wrongful Termination
- Personal Injury
Litigation Support Services for Marital Dissolution
Divorce can be complicated, contention, and emotional. The engagement of an experienced financial expert will provide a concise and clear analysis of individual situations. The earlier CDL is involved the better.
We can assist in all aspects of equitable distribution and settlement, including:
- Preparation of Financial Affidavits/Declarations
- Analyses of Personal and Business Financial Information
- Determination of Spousal Income
- Tracing of Assets (Marital and Non-Marital)
- Lifestyle Analyses
- Valuation of Businesses and Business Interests
- Assistance in the Structuring of Settlement Offers and Agreements
It is especially beneficial to retain a litigation support professional in the following circumstances. When:
- Unreported or Underreported Income or Assets are Alleged
- One or Both Spouses is Self-Employed
- Marital and Non-Marital Property Exists or is Alleged
- A Lifestyle Analysis is Needed
- One Spouse is Unacquainted with Family Finances
- Complex Financial Instruments are Included in the Marital Property
- Pensions, 401(K) Plans, and Other Retirement Plans Exist
- Financial Records Must be Reconstructed
- A Closely-Held Business or Professional Practice is Included in the Marital Estate
Our support services to handle Domestic Relations include:
- Valuation of Marital Property
- Distribution of Marital Property
- Marital Disputes
- Contract Damages
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Shareholder Disputes
- Lost Business Profits
- Lost Wages, Benefits and Estate Accumulation
- Business Interruption Claims and Damages
- Lost Earning Capacity and Economic Damages
- Expert Witness Testimony
- Investment Fraud – In a matter where investors’ funds were improperly converted from an initial investment to a series of inappropriate investments, a report was prepared that documented the series of improper transactions. Additional analysis identified documents that had been altered and used to effectuate the improper transactions without the client’s knowledge. The report and additional analysis led to the settlement of the case and the successful recovery of a majority of the invested funds.
- Dissenting Shareholder – In a matter where the holder of a minority interest in a closely-held company disagreed with the actions taken by the company’s controlling shareholders, a report was prepared that calculated the fair value of the stock held by the minority shareholder. The report led to the successful resolution of the matter at mediation.
- Fraud – In a matter where it was alleged that the trustee of a family trust had committed fraud against the trust, a report was prepared that fully documented numerous specific instances of improper transactions committed by the trustee. After a pre-filing deposition of the expert, the matter was fully resolved without the need for litigation.
- Insurance/Construction Claim – In a matter where a building sustained extensive physical damage, a report was prepared that documented all costs incurred by the insured to repair the damage and reconstruct the building. The report and related testimony assisted in the successful recovery for the expenses incurred.
- Marital Dissolution – Involvement in numerous divorce cases has led to the successful resolution of many of these cases at mediation. Issues addressed include sophisticated investments, valuation of closely-held businesses, complicated income and living expense scenarios, and identification of non-marital assets.
- Business Dispute – In a matter where the holder of a minority interest in a joint venture was involuntarily removed from the venture, a report was prepared that documented the claim for past and future profits. The report and related testimony led to the successful recovery on behalf of the oppressed venture.
- Business Valuations – Reports have been issued in numerous business valuation engagements for various purposes including business disputes, contractual damages, estate and gift tax filings, eminent domain proceedings, and marital dissolutions.
- Real Estate Developer – In a matter where a resident of a community claimed that the community’s developer was over-assessing the residents of the community, a report was prepared that documented the amount of the over-assessments. The case was dismissed at a trial for reasons unrelated to the financial analysis.
- Patent Infringement – In a matter where a tool manufacturer alleged that an international conglomerate had infringed on patents held by the manufacturer, an analysis was prepared that documented that the manufacturer had not suffered and financial detriment as a result of the alleged infringement. This analysis helped the attorneys to resolve the matter before trial.